The list of World Cup wins as a player and coach is very short. Mario woke up the first person to do this feat. Franz Beckenbauer and Didier Deschamps then caught him.
Jagalo is unique in one place – won the World Cup multiple times as a player and coach!
Times are not going well for this ‘iconic’ Brazilian football personality. He was admitted to the hospital with a respiratory infection.
A hospital in Rio de Janeiro confirmed the news yesterday. Jagalo has been kept in the intensive care unit (ICU), news agency AFP reported.
However, the 90-year-old Zagalo’s physical condition now better than before, according to the authorities of the Barra d’Or Hospital in Rio de Janeiro,
“he is able to breathe normally without the help of a machine.” Jagalo had previously tested positive for Covid-19. The hospital authorities said that he later tested negative.
Jagalo, who turns 91 next month, known as the ‘Old Wolf’ of Brazilian football. Even at this age, he is quite active on social media.
He often posts various pictures and souvenirs of his playing life on Instagram. He has more than one lakh followers on Instagram. Just four days ago, he posted a photo of himself getting a haircut at a salon.
Jagalo played as an inside forward and left winger for Brazil from 1958 to 1964. Won the 1958 and 1962 World Cups with Pele. Then he won the World Cup in 1970 as a coach.
- He also won the World Cup as an assistant coach in 1994 World Cup. Four years later, in the 1998 World Cup as Brazil’s coach, he reached the final but did not win the title.
- Jagalo was the technical assistant of the Brazil team in the 2006 World Cup.
- Apart from Jagalo, only German legend Beckenbauer (1974 and 1990) and France’s current coach Deschamps (1998 and 2018) have won the World Cup as a player and coach.
- Needless to say, the 1970 World Cup was the best moment in Zagalo’s coaching career.
- Brazil played eye-catching football in the World Cup with Tostao, Pele, Jorginho, Rivellino, Garson. Brazilian legend Pele took to Instagram to wish Jagalo,
the worshiper of attacking football, a speedy recovery, saying, ‘My friend Jagalo, I know you are going through a difficult time. But know this, I am praying for your speedy recovery.’
81-year-old Pele has been suffering from physical problems for three years. The three-time World Cup winning legend underwent surgery for rectal cancer and also had to have kidney stones removed.
Apart from this, Pele is also suffering from waist problems.🔱